Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Christian, a Muslim, a Baha'i, and an Atheist all walk into a bar...

     It wasn't exactly a bar. It was a meeting room at our campus but all these and more were there. 

Hoping to create dialogue in a school where most people don't talk to one another.
     By design, I've been spending more and more time with non-Christian students on campus this semester.  I had a chance to be a part of a meeting that had representatives from the Baha'i club, Muslim Student Association, the Moral Atheists, SC Out (the LGBTQ club on campus), and two Christian clubs.  We organized a weekly meeting where each of us can present what our faith (or way of thinking for non-faith groups) says about certain topics. This is open to all students and we are expecting about 20-30 students weekly.  Our first topic is community.  I am presenting one paragraph that summarizes what Christianity says about "community" and I want you to tell me what to say.  Just leave it in the comment box. 

3 comments:

  1. I like to think that Christianity encourages a community of being there for one another. Life's challenges are always easier when you have the support of others. "Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the laws of Christ" Galatians 6:2

    -Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Seba! I got to speak on the same thing in Venezuela last year at a universtiy. One thing that really resonated with them was something God gave me on the spot. I talked about how the grace that is offered by Jesus is the only thing that frees us to truly live in community and love one other. Without that, all attempts at forming community will be rooted in selfishness, not love. There can be no true community apart from Jesus!

    Hope it goes well

    Bill

    ReplyDelete