Thursday, January 19, 2012

Being Ready

Asian Christian Fellowship
     Right before winter break my team leader, Greg, asked me to prepare a discipleship plan that I can use with students the next year.  The task was to produce something more than just material but a plan on how to really produce a Christlike disciple.  Discipleship doesn't/shouldn't just center around a lesson or workbook but around a relationship and a lifestyle.  The only requirement was that once I had gone through it with a student, they would be able to go through it with someone else (self replicating). 
     After looking at things I had done in the past and thinking about things I wish I had done, I finished my plan and shared it with Greg last weekend (I will post a link to it here after I've cleaned it up a bit).  In explaining why I needed a discipleship plan to some partners I asked "What would you do with a student who just walked up to you and said 'Show me how to become a Christian'?"  Now, of course, this was only a hypothetical situation...until last night.  Two students walked into a student-led Bible study for the first time and asked how they could become Christians without any Gospel presentation prompting them. They were ready to take the first step in discipleship.   I marveled at God's ability to draw people to Himself.  I also grieved that if this would have happened last year, I may not have been ready to walk them through becoming a follower of Christ in a way that would have left them prepared to disciple others.  I just wanted to ask you, the reader, the question:  What would you do if someone said to you 'Show me how to become a Christian'?  Would you pass them off to someone else or would you be ready to walk that path with them?  

No comments:

Post a Comment